Friday 26 July 2013

The Oldest Music Instrument, Ocarina

I have recently been amazed by this small whistle-like instrument. Thanks to my sweet cousin who presented me this sweet Ocarina that she got from a trip to Taiwan.



My Ocarina is made from ceramic, and I can put it around my neck; it comes pretty handy. It sounds like Indonesian bamboo flute, with complete notes from c to b, including c#, d#, f#, etc. Although I have not managed to play those minor notes.

From the manual book I know that Ocarina is as ancient as 4000 years old. Moreover, they said it is originated from China, although another online source tells me it comes from South America.

Ancient Chinese Ocarina is made from stone, wood, bone, shell, and gourd; the design is inspired by humana or animals. I believe mine looks like a turtle, doesn't it?

Historians believe that Ocarina was played at important ceremonies. The myth has it that the "masters" played it to tame wild beast, and musicians won wars simply because the sound made by Ocarina which was able to hypnotize enemies.

Well, I will go back to master my Okay-rina. Thank you for reading ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment