Monday 31 January 2011

(maybe) Adiós Nando!

Today might be the last day that one of the best player in the world (according to me) is registered as a member of the best club in the world (again, according to me). Only a few hours before the transfer deadline, me and most of Liverpool fans out there are certainly nervous whether the Spanish striker Fernando Torres will or will not join the rival club at the English Premiere League (EPL) Chelsea. If the deal comes true, then this will be my last piece of love to Nando.

Watching him leaves is as hard as losing Xabi Alonso a couple years back. It is harder for me as Torres used to be my second favourite player after Steven Gerrard. At least Alonso had a better reason as the previous gaffer Rafael Benitez would sell him a year before his departure. The fans could not ask Alonso to stay, thus am quite pessimistic that Torres will stay this time. After all the things he did, and all the things I know about him, I still cannot believe Nando requested a transfer.


Joining the club in 2007, I did not know he would impress me only in a couple of months. I was not a big fan of Spanish football at that moment so I had not heard of his big name (as a young talented star) before. In his first season with Liverpool, Nando were able to collect an impressive achievement, including Highest scoring Liverpool player in the 21st Century (one season) with 33 goals in all competitions (24 Premier League, 6 Champions League, 3 Carling Cup), Best goals per game ratio in a debut season in the history of Liverpool FC (one goal every 1.36 games), and Premier League Silver Boot Winner (24 goals).

I was so sure that he can be a legend, The Liverpool Number Nine after Fowler. The faith was written in my previous blog. Watching him wearing Liverpool scarf when Spain won The South African World Cup 2010 looks like confirming his loyalty to the club, but it was wrong. Once I also read about his love to music, especially The Beatles, thus he would love to stay in the city of his idols, then again I was wrong. I started to learn Spanish so that one day I can talk to him in his mother tongue language as a Liverpool player, once again I was wrong.

Last but not least, Torres said on 9th January 2011 "More than ever, we need to stick together...My head is in Liverpool and on helping to save our season. I am a professional and I always fulfil my deals. I haven't considered leaving, although in football that always depends on the club", and this time was he wrong too?

Nando in World Cup 2010
Nando and his music


Imagining him wearing a blue shirt and playing against Liverpool in the future will be a torture. If the offers come from some Italian or German clubs, it is not going to be difficult to wish you the best of luck. But Chelsea? I might wish you the very best of bad luck then. However, as the words of gratitude for all the contributions you have made in Liverpool, "adiós" should be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment